2022 Bridge Study Award for Afghanistan Students in Germany – DAAD Award: DAAD scholarship grants in Germany are now open to Afghanistan students who want to earn a degree at a university of their choice in the country.
The scholarship award is open to all levels of applicants from bachelor, postgraduate or doctoral studies. The program aims to support students and researchers from Afghanistan with bridge scholarships to start or continue their bachelor’s or master’s studies at a state or state-recognized higher education institution in Germany.
2022 Bridge Study Award for Afghanistan Students in Germany – DAAD Award
Who is eligible to apply?
Afghanistan undergraduates, Graduates, doctoral candidates, and postdoctoral researchers from all disciplines are eligible to apply,
- applicants who can prove that they have Afghan citizenship (no dual citizenship),
- applicants who are already enrolled as bachelor’s or master’s students resp, who also submit an admission letter until the application deadline or have been accepted as doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers at an institution resp.
- applicants who submit confirmation of supervision or an invitation letter until the application deadline,
- applicants who, as a rule, are already in Germany with a valid residence permit at the time of the application deadline,
- applicants who, as a rule, have not been staying in Germany for longer than 15 months at the time of the application deadline. This does not exclude applications from Afghans with a longer stay after obtaining a first degree or similar in Germany.
- Undergraduates (preparatory college and bachelor’s degree)
- attending a preparatory college in accordance with their previous knowledge of the subject for the intended course of study, or
- participation in a bachelor’s degree programme
Graduates (master’s degree)
- participation in a master’s degree programme
- individual projects under the supervision of a university teacher (doctoral supervisor) or
- participation in a structured doctoral programme
- individual projects in cooperation with a university teacher or
- participation in a structured postdoctoral programme
How to Apply
The applicants must now submit their admission applications via the My DAAD register or application form. Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format.
Duration of funding
1 month to a maximum of 6 months; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant’s work schedule.
The funding must be completed by 31.01.2023 at the latest.
The grant is non-renewable.
Value for Scholarship
Funding of a scholarship includes:
- depending on the academic level, monthly payments of
- 861 euros for undergraduates (preparatory college and
- bachelor) and graduates (master),
- 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates and postdoctoral researchers
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for family members
- in the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
Please note that while on a DAAD scholarship you must not accept another DAAD scholarship, Erasmus+ scholarship or other scholarships or awards from other German sources, nor apply for support from the German national education assistance system – BAföG.
The selection of candidates will be carried out by a selection committee appointed by section ST33 – Middle East, North Africa of the DAAD.
- Academic qualification (documented by the last qualifying degree: school leaving certificate or higher education certificate)
- Quality of the study or research project
- Bachelor and master (documented by an enrolment certificate (if applicable), proof of previous study results (Transcript of Records) resp. admission and proof of language proficiency
- Doctorate and postdoctoral phase (documented by an acceptance as a (post)doctoral candidate (if applicable) and letter of recommendation resp. confirmation of supervision or letter of invitation, research proposal and schedule)
- Personal motivation for the scholarship (documented by a letter of motivation describing the current personal risk situation as well as outlining the future prospects in Germany made possible by a scholarship)