The International Court of Justice has announced the Application Call for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024. The Organization is inviting Eligible Applicants from recognized universities to apply.
The ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme previously referred to as the University Traineeship Programme, was established in 1999 to enable recent law graduates to gain professional experience working at the ICJ.
The Fellowship Programme was created with the aim to improve participants’ understanding of public international law and also an understanding of the Court’s procedures. This is achieved by allowing active involvement in the work of the Court.
Successful fellows will work on a full-time basis under the supervision of a Member of the Court and alongside the primary legal assistant of the judge. Fellows will be allowed to attend the Court’s public hearings, research and write memorandums on legal questions or factual aspects of the cases pending before the Court, and perform other duties assigned by their judge.
Summary of the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organization: International Court of Justice
- Country: Netherlands
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: February 5, 2023
- Duration: Approximately Ten months, from early September to June of the following year.
- Number of Participants: 15
About the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme
The International Court of Justice (ICJ), is an organ of the United Nations (UN), in fact, one of the six principal organs.
The renowned Court has the responsibility of settling disputes between states in accordance with international law and gives advisory opinions on international legal issues.
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) is the only recognized international court that adjudicates general disputes between countries, with its rulings and opinions serving as primary sources of international law.
Benefits of ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023
- The fellowship aims to improve participants’ understanding of public international law and of the Court’s procedures by actively involving them in the work of the Court and allowing them to acquire the necessary experience while being supervised by a judge.
- Each fellow will be assigned to one judge for a period of around ten months, from early September to June or July of the following year.
- During this ten months period, participants will attend any public hearings of the Court, research and be allowed to write memorandums on legal questions or factual aspects of pending cases.
- Successful Participants will work alongside an associate legal officer, who is the primary legal assistant of each judge and is employed by the Court for a period of two to four years
Recommended: BU Summer High School Programs – Apply Now
How to Apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023?
- Are you Interested and Eligible? Visit the International Court of Justice at: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx to apply
- You can also visit the official website of ICJ at: https://www.icj-cij.org/en/judicial-fellows-program
Eligibility Criteria for ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme Qualification
To be considered for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship:
- It is expected that Candidates should be 31 years of age or younger at the time the programme begins
- He/She must have excellent reading skills, writing skills, and oral skills in at least one of them
- Candidates must have demonstrated excellent results in their legal studies
- Must have demonstrated an interest in public international law through their studies, publications and/or work experience
- Candidates with a working knowledge of the second official language would have added advantage
Documents Required for Application
- Sponsorship agreement Letter from the university over the Candidate
- The Application form and summary table, completed by the candidate;
- Two or three letters of reference;
- An Official academic record of the candidate;
- A 15 pages maximum Writing Sample
What is the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
The ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme is a prestigious opportunity for law graduates worldwide to gain practical experience by working closely with judges at the International Court of Justice (ICJ). Learn more about the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme.
Who is eligible to apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024?
Law graduates with strong academic backgrounds and a genuine interest in international law are eligible to apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024. Check the eligibility criteria for more details.
What is the duration of the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
The ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme typically has a duration of 10 months, running from September 2023 to June 2024.
What are the benefits of participating in the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
Participating in the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme offers law graduates the unique opportunity to work closely with judges, gain insights into the Court’s operations, and enhance their understanding of international law. Fellows also receive a stipend to support their living expenses during the fellowship.
How can I apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
To apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme, you need to complete and submit the online application form available on the ICJ’s official website. Make sure to provide all required documents and follow the application instructions carefully.
What documents are required for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme application?
The application typically requires a CV, transcripts, a letter of motivation, and letters of recommendation. Refer to the application process for a detailed list of required documents.
When is the application deadline for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024?
The application deadline for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024 is usually in early January. Be sure to check the exact deadline on the official website.
How competitive is the selection process for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
The ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme is highly competitive, as it attracts top law graduates from around the world. The selection process is rigorous and based on academic excellence, relevant experience, and demonstrated interest in international law.
What kind of work do fellows engage in during the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme?
Fellows participating in the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme assist judges in their research, analysis, and drafting of legal documents. They also have the opportunity to attend Court sessions and engage in discussions with judges and legal experts.
What are the post-fellowship opportunities for ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme alumni?
Alumni of the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme often find their experience to be a valuable asset in their legal careers. Many go on to pursue advanced degrees, engage in international law practice, or contribute to academia and legal research.