2022 Islamabad University TWAS-COMSATS Masters Fellowship Programme: Application calls for the TWAS-COMSATS Masters Fellowship Programme at Islamabad University for the 2022/23.
The TWAS-COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI) Master’s Fellowship Programme is open to young postgraduate researchers from developing countries other than Pakistan, who wish to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their PhD in natural or social sciences.
2022 Islamabad University TWAS-COMSATS Masters Fellowship Programme
TWAS was founded in 1983 by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world, under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate.
They shared a belief that developing nations, by building strength in science and engineering, could build the knowledge and skill to address such challenges as hunger, disease and poverty. From the start, the Academy had essential support from Italian scientists and political leaders.
The Third World Academy of Sciences, as it was originally known, was inaugurated officially in 1985 during a ceremony attended by United Nations Secretary-General Javier Pérez de Cuéllar.
Initially, TWAS had 42 elected fellows, nine of them Nobel laureates. The name was changed twice: in 2004, to “The Academy of Sciences for the developing world” and, in 2012, to the current one, “The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries”.
Today, TWAS has 1,296 elected fellows — some of the world’s most accomplished scientists and engineers — representing more than 100 countries; 11 of them are Nobel laureates. About 84 per cent come from developing nations, and the rest are scientists from the developed world whose work has had a significant impact on the South. TWAS fellows are the foundation for all of the Academy’s work.
The program will last for about for a minimum of six months to a maximum of 3 years (up to 18 months for a sandwich programme).
Programme details about 2022 Islamabad University TWAS-COMSATS Masters Fellowship Programme
- TWAS-CUI Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI) campuses. NB: In 2018, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT) changed its name to COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 18 months.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD in the relevant department at one of the campuses of CUI, Pakistan.
- The language of instruction is English.
Opening date of this fellowship: 1 June 2022
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter from CUI as early as possible. Keep in mind that only acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
06-Engineering Sciences incl. Computing and IT
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
10-Social and Economic Sciences
- CUI-TWAS Fellowships are offered in the following areas of the natural and related applied sciences: Mathematics, Biosciences, Metrology, Pharmacy, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemical Engineering and Management Sciences.
- CUI-TWAS Fellowships are also offered in the following social and economic sciences: Development Studies, Economics, Economics and International Relations.
- CUI will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Successful applicants will be able to join from the Spring semester of 2023 (depending availability of PhD programmes in Spring) which starts in February 2023, except for the Abbottabad campus where the Spring semester starts in March 2023.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not be on-site in Pakistan;
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold an MSc degree (with research) in a field of natural sciences;
- IF applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold an MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- be a maximum age of 35 years by 31 December in the year of application;
- for FULL-TIME Fellowships:
a) be willing to register at CUI, Pakistan;
b) have 18 years of education up to MS/MPhil degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.0/4.0; not hold 3rd division (i.e. less than 50% marks) throughout the academic cycle; have passed the departmental test within the first semester of studies, or have a valid GAT (subject) /GRE (subject) score as specified on the CUI website at http://international.admissions.comsats.edu.pk/
– must apply online for admission at CUI through the CUI portal at http://international.admissions.comsats.edu.pk/. In using online, candidates must select the “CUI-TWAS fellowship” option and submit a scanned copy of all academic certificates (transcripts and degrees). If accepted, candidates will be issued an Acceptance Letter from CUI.
c) For any inquiries, please contact Mr Kashif Masood, Deputy Registrar (International) by email at email@example.com
- for SANDWICH Fellowships:
a) be registered PhD students in a developing country, and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (see the sample that can be downloaded below or included in the online application form);
b) provide an official Acceptance Letter from CUI (see sample preliminary acceptance letter that can be downloaded below or included in the online application form). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Mr Kashif Masood, Deputy Registrar (International) (by email at firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate the assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Mr Kashif Masood, applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with a copy of their CV, a research proposal outline, the completed Foreign Student Information Sheet (available below for download) and a scanned copy of their valid passport (just page with picture and biodata). For any queries, please contact email@example.com (NB: Requests will not be accepted at any other email address) (Attention of Mr Kashif Masood, CUI Deputy Registrar);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members and for any delay incurred in completing the fellowship.