Hurry! The Rhodes Scholarship Application Link for applicants has been released. First awarded in 1902, the Rhodes scholarship is the oldest and one of the most prestigious international scholar ship programs.
It enables outstanding and promising young individuals from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
If you’ve ever dreamt of studying at the University of Oxford, then this scholar ship could be the perfect opportunity for you. Read through this article for more information about the scholarship, and how you can apply for it.
Rhodes Scholarship Application Link
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full-time, postgraduate award given to outstanding eligible students. This scholar ship is awarded every year to encourage talented students from all over the globe.
You can apply for it irrespective of your gender identity, marital status, colour, religion, social background, disability, race, origin, or sexual orientation.
Your strength for getting this scholar ship depends on your intellect, character, commitment to service, and leadership. However, all applicants for this scholarship would undergo a series of intensive application and interview processes.
Summary of Rhodes Scholarship
Below is a summary of this scholarship program to give you more details about it
- Level of Study: Postgraduate.
- Duration of the Scholarship: This depends on the length of the course you want to study. However, the basic tenure of this scholarship award is 2 years. Although, in some cases, scholars may apply for a third or fourth year to complete their DPhil. But this is at the discretion of the Academic Committee of the Rhodes Trust and the Rhodes Trustees.
- Gender: Both male and female.
- Study at: The University of London.
- Country: England.
This is a summary of the Rhodes scholarship.
History of Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes scholarship program was an initiative of Cecil John Rhodes. However, it was established in 1902 after his death. The first Rhodes scholarship was awarded in 1903. Meanwhile, the first US Rhodes scholars began their studies at the University of Oxford in 1904.
It enables talented young individuals to undertake full-time postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. And over a hundred years later, it is the oldest and one of the most celebrated scholarships in the world. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide an opportunity for students to study at the world’s most ancient and prestigious scholarship.
Every year, about 32 students from the United States are selected as Rhodes scholars. And applicants from over 320 colleges and universities in America have been selected as Rhodes scholars.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Rhodes Scholarship
As earlier stated, you can apply for this scholarship and stand a chance to be of the lucky winners if you are eligible. Rhodes scholars are chosen for their outstanding academic performance.
However, in addition to demonstrating academic excellence, some other criteria include
- Applicants should have demonstrated the energy to use their talents to the full. You should be able to demonstrate your mastery in areas like sports, debate, theatre, music, dance, and artistic pursuits. And especially in areas where teamwork is involved.
- You should demonstrate courage, truth, devotion to study, kindliness, unselfishness, fellowship, and sympathy.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership skills.
- Also, all applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree. And have a GPA of 3.70 or higher to apply for the scholarship.
Moreover, the detailed eligibility criteria for this scholarship depend on the constituency you are applying for. So, you are to visit the website at www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/applications/ and use the eligibility checker tool to find out if you are eligible to apply.
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarship
Although the applications for the scholarship are closed for now, it will reopen in June/July 2023 for study commencing in October 2024. But if you meet all the eligibility for Rhodes scholars and wish to apply, you’ll use this website https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/the-rhodes-scholarship/ to apply.
However, always ensure that you visit this website for frequent updates about the scholarship. Like if the eligibility criteria changes, when the application forms are out, and the slot available for each constituency.
Benefits of the Rhodes Scholarship
If you are one of the lucky winners of this scholarship, there are so many benefits you’ll enjoy.
- This scholarship covers all fees associated with applying for and studying at the university of Oxford. It covers the tuition fees for the course you want to study.
- And not only that, but it also includes an annual stipend. This annual stipend can then be used by students to cover living expenses like accommodation and feeding.
- In addition to this, it covers fees for students’ visas.
- It also covers fees associated with International Health Surcharge (HIS). So, you don’t have to worry about health costs. As you’d be able to access the UK’s National Health Service without charges.
- Also, it covers two economy-class flights. The cost of the fight to and from the United Kingdom.
- It also covers a settling-in allowance upon arrival in the United Kingdom.
These are the benefits of this scholarship program.