The College of William & Mary acceptance rate is 37% which means the school is very selective. Approximately 50% of those admitted into the William & Mary have SAT scores ranging from 1360 to 1520, or an ACT score ranging from 31 to 34.
It’s worth noting that while a quarter of successful applicants exceed these score ranges, another quarter fall below them. If you want to join the ranks, keep in mind that the application deadline is January 1st, with a $75 application fee at William & Mary.
At William & Mary, the admissions officials’ places significant importance on a student’s GPA as a key academic criterion. Equally vital is an applicant’s high school class rank, if provided, along with letters of recommendation, all of which carry considerable weight in the admissions process. If you’re curious about additional academic aspects and other school-related information, you can explore further through College Compass.
Although legally classified as a college, the term is quite the misfit for William & Mary. Over time, the institution has undergone remarkable growth and transformation. Today, it stands as a thriving research university, boasting a diverse array of academic offerings. With over 45 undergraduate programs and more than 40 graduate and professional degree programs, there’s a rich tapestry of choices awaiting those who wish to embark on their academic journey here.
Have you ever wondered what it takes to become a part of the prestigious William & Mary community? The journey to this esteemed institution is paved with certain requirements and insights that every aspiring student should know. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the facets that matter, from acceptance rates to GPA requirements and everything in between.
Recommended: AMDA Acceptance Rate and Admission Requirements 2023
William & Mary Acceptance Rate
Starting with the big picture, let’s talk about the all-important of William & Mary acceptance rate. As of the latest data, the acceptance rate for the most recent admissions cycle was 37%, indicating the proportion of applicants who secured their spot in this academic haven. This figure encapsulates the competitive nature of admissions, underlining the need for a strong application that stands out from the crowd.
It’s difficult to get accepted into William & Mary, and it’s just getting more challenging. For the class of 2025, the university received 17,475 applications, a record number and the first time it has gotten more than 15,000 applications. Only 6,466 of the 17,475 candidates were admitted by William & Mary, giving the school a 37% acceptance rate (44% for in-state applicants and 31% for out-of-state applicants).
William & Mary Acceptance Rate offers early decision (ED) admissions, and the class of 2025 received 1,184 ED applications. The university has a 46 percent early decision admission rate with 545 students admitted through ED. Every year, the College of William and Mary accepts around 40% of those who apply. Approximately 28% of students who were admitted chose to enroll.
GPA Requirements at William and Mary College
Based on sample GPA data obtained and applied, the William & Mary Acceptance Rate mean GPA range for accepted students is anticipated to be around 3.75 – 3.96. The class of 2025 at William & Mary has an average high school GPA of 4.28, with 86.29 per cent graduating with a 4.0.
Below 2.00 00%
These above GPA ranges reflect what most admitted students scored, but many are outside these ranges.
SAT and ACT Requirements at William and Mary
Standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT, are important for your application. At William & Mary, the middle 50% range for SAT scores lies between 1380–1520, while the ACT score range spans 32–34. These figures provide a benchmark for aspiring students to gauge their readiness for the admissions process.
SAT Total Range 1380–1520
SAT Math 680–770
SAT Reading 700–750
ACT Composite Range 32–34
Acceptance Rate 37% (Selective)
Total Applicants 17,475
Class Rank Requirements at William and Mary
The class of 2025 at William & Mary Acceptance Rate had 77 per cent of its members graduate in the top tenth of their high school class. For those schools that provide class rank information, this metric is deemed valuable by William & Mary’s admissions committee. Attaining a higher class rank certainly enhances your application’s appeal.
Ninety-six per cent of those who graduated were in the top quarter of their class.
- High School GPA Required
- High School Rank Required
- College Prep Courses Recommended
- SAT/ACT Scores Considered if submitted
- Recommendations Required
The application Fee is $75. The Fee Waiver Info is available to all qualified students. Visit the college website for details.
How to Improve Your Chances of Getting into William & Mary
- Focus on maintaining a strong GPA of 4.28 GPA and aim to excel in challenging courses. GPA, class rank, and course rigor are all important factors in William & Mary admissions. The Academic Index is a statistic used by highly selective colleges such as William & Mary to aid with admissions choices. The Academic Index is a single number that summarizes your academic performance. It may help you determine whether you meet the academic criteria of the college and how seriously to consider your application.
- Invest time in thorough preparation for the SAT or ACT to achieve scores within or beyond the specified ranges. Aim for an SAT score of 1490 and an ACT score of 34. Any score in the middle of 50% is acceptable for William and Mary admissions, but the higher you score in the range, the more competitive your application will be. When it comes to admissions, William & Mary considers test results essential.
- Craft a compelling personal statement that showcases your unique qualities, experiences, and aspirations. Essays are another opportunity to distinguish yourself in a crowded field of academic all-stars. For William & Mary admissions, there is only one essay requirement, and it is optional (save for applicants to the St. Andrews Joint Degree Program). A strong essay reveals your personality, which William & Mary considers a key aspect in admissions.
- Engage in extracurricular activities that demonstrate your passions, leadership skills, and commitment to your community. Activities such as winning a regional award or receiving state-level distinction in athletics or music gets you the chancs into William & Mary.
- Seek out recommendation letters from teachers or mentors who can speak to your character and achievements. Letters of recommendation are extremely significant in the admissions process at William & Mary, which requires a counselor letter and accepts an optional instructor recommendation.
- Interview Preparation – If an interview is part of the admissions process, practice articulating your motivations for attending William & Mary.
The path to William & Mary requires hard work, planning, and a commitment to personal development. Since the William & Mary Acceptance Rate is very selective, you should be better prepared to promote yourself as a suitable candidate if you grasp the admission rate, GPA criteria, and other crucial elements.
If you meet William and Mary’s requirements for GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and other components of the application, you have a great shot at getting in. But if you fall short on GPA or your SAT/ACT scores, you’ll have a very low chance of being admitted, even if you meet the other admissions requirements.
Remember that, while the path may be difficult, the benefits of becoming a student of the William & Mary are immense.